Re: [opensuse] Off Topic: Wired PC's Behind Client Bridge Can't Ping Each Other
On 2016-05-10 15:15, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 2016-05-10 14:16, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 05/09/2016 02:13 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But in this case, the 4 mouths on that thing (client bridge) are not
acting as switch. They are all "routing", isolated from one another. I
had no idea this could be possible.

With software, anything is possible.

Absolutely. But I thought that the switches ran in hardware for speed.

LOL!
Cisco, Wellfleet and others and others have built their businesses on
making the switches software controllable and "feature rich".

But the original firmware of these routers do not allow that fine control.

DD-WRT.

I did, on one of mine. An ADSL router provided by an ISP. I repurposed
it as a new wifi access point. Good news: it works, and I hear no
complains. Bad news: it was hell setting it up.

That's the problem with anything 'feature rich'.
The only reason so many of us can deal with something as 'fasture rich'
as Linux, KDE, Gnome and more is that we
* compartmentalise
* Linux is about patterns rather than 'sui generis'
* have been doing it a long time

Well, but the firmware on the router is not modular, but a single block.
Like a Linux CD live. There are no choices, it is either all or none.

The web configuration part crashed often, apparently for lack of memory.

Well, yes there is that.
Upgrading memory in a router is not as easy as in a PC or laptop :-(
Even those of us with a steady hand when wielding the soldering iron my
be stymied by the circuit design being limited.

I would not go that road. Instead, I would have bought a dedicated WiFi
AP instead of buying memory. Yes, I can solder, but SMDs are not that easy.

Thus I hesitate to try another device that I use for similar purpose
(AP), but with the original buggy firmware.

If I had the time and inclination ... well I keep seeing old WRT54
devices at thrift stores now that the newer, faster more integrated
cable models from ISPs for home users offer wifi connectivity as well
and the separate wifi router is made redundant. At under C$5, often
under C$2.50, that is low risk. Its just, as you point out, the time ...

My entry router has integrated WiFI, but I disabled it due to bad
quality. I simply reused another router that was gathering dust as a new
WiFi AP. This is working fine, but there are some improper settings that
I can not change; thus reflashing is an alternative. But I hesitate a lot.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >