Re: [opensuse] Off Topic: Wired PC's Behind Client Bridge Can't Ping Each Other
On 2016-05-10 14:16, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 05/09/2016 02:13 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But in this case, the 4 mouths on that thing (client bridge) are not
acting as switch. They are all "routing", isolated from one another. I
had no idea this could be possible.

With software, anything is possible.

Absolutely. But I thought that the switches ran in hardware for speed.
Lower level, not really tcp/ip. Obviously I was wrong, they run in
firmware, aka software, thus modifiable.

The router, sdm says, is running DD-WRT. If that's not a few steps
above the idiot simple software shipped on home-grade routers I don't
know what is! {Thinks: I need to flash my own router with that someday}

I did, on one of mine. An ADSL router provided by an ISP. I repurposed
it as a new wifi access point. Good news: it works, and I hear no
complains. Bad news: it was hell setting it up.

The web configuration part crashed often, apparently for lack of memory.
I had to use an old version, because the new one failed to load at all
the web. At least the old one worked somewhat, horribly slow (half an
hour for a command, say), provided I did not try to use certain pages. I
had to do the rest of the configuration by telnet or ssh, and it is a
very complex command set unless you have a good guide. The web is far
easier, but if failed.

The notes for my router did not warn that the new firmware needed more
memory than whatever the router has. I had to ask for help on a forum or
mail list, and they were not very helpful.

Thus I hesitate to try another device that I use for similar purpose
(AP), but with the original buggy firmware.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)