Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
On 2016-05-10 10:08, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

Op 09-05-16 om 08:31 schreef Andrei Borzenkov:
I am not even sure if it is possible to do with having *second*
prefix for "DIY Router" WAN interface. I.e. assuming we have

ISP - eth0 [DIY] eth1 - LAN

Can both eth0 and eth1 have the same prefixes? How would DIY know
whether to use eth0 or eth1 to speak with hosts having the same
prefix?

From my little experience/knowledge, the external interface of the
[DIY] gets an IP-address in a separate prefix, not related to the
[prefix that is given to the [DIY] via PD.

It depends on the setup/ISP, but that corresponds to my config - the
uplink route has a separate prefix.

Yes, I apologize for confusion; I was thinking more of the case with
ISP CPE that obviously should get delegated prefixes from ISP and
needs to distinguish between prefixes used to hand out DHCPv6/SLAAC
addresses and prefixes used for further delegation (assuming it
supports it at all).

We still do not know anything about actual ISP setup James is using,
so it is just guesswork.

Please allow my ignorance, I'll place a question for my learning :-)

I thought the general purpose is to get a large range (/64) IPv6
addresses from the ISP. A single one is assigned to the external
interface of the entry router, another single one to the internal
interface, and then the router hands over (2^64 -2) addresses to the
millions of possible internal machines, each one with an IPv6 real world
address, so that any internal machine is reachable (if the router
firewall permits it) from the world.

On a very different scenario, the internal interface would get only
local IPv6 addresses that are not reachable from internet. Similar to
the IPv4 typical setup with NAT.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)