Re: [opensuse] Off Topic: Wired PC's Behind Client Bridge Can't Ping Each Other
On 2016-05-09 21:43, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

The main router would ignore the packets, because it would assume the
switch would handle them, much nearer to the source. It is, IMHO, a
waste of wireless bandwidth to send packets up, then down, instead of
traversing the switch in cable.

It is my understanding that is exactly what "bridge mode" means.

The client device is saying I'm leaving it to the main router to make
all decisions. I'm just a dumb box that leaves all decisions to the
main router.

Ahhh! I see.

It could well be that the main box is saying: "Surely the dumb client
is handling all peer-to-peer communications, so I won't send it right
back to where it came from."

Yes, I agree.

What would be the interest to handle all on the main router? Delegating
traffic (not necessarily the decisions) would allow much faster traffic
(because the cable typically has more bandwidth).

Thus the bug. The bridge client is sending all inbound packets to the
main router, but the main router is assuming it already peeled of the
local only packets.

Bug or misunderstanding. Ie, misconfiguration.

No real idea on my part, but seems like an easy way for a
incompatibility to be introduced, especially if the boxes are from
different manufacturers.

Mmmm... aren't both running open router firmware?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >