Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 08:11:31 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

This I do no have clear: you get from the ISP not a single IP (v6),
but a range.

Typically a home user will receive a /64 prefix, I think that is the
standing recommendation. Not all providers do this, I know of some
Swiss providers that allocate smaller chunks. I believe the /64
recommendation is related to routing tables and such, although I'm not
intimately familiar with the details.

Ie, you get a prefix, and all your internal machines have to use that
same prefix, plus something to differentiate each one (pos-fix?).

James will get e.g. 2001:db8:1234:1234/64, and his local machines could
be

2001:db8:1234:1234::1
2001:db8:1234:1234::2
2001:db8:1234:1234::3
etc.

Internally, he can use dynamic or static allocation or both.

With IPv6 we not need/use NAT, but each local machine gets one
outside, real, address. Is this so?

Right.

Thus, whatever replaces dhcpd-server on the inside has to know and use
that external prefix.

One can use radvd alone or radvd+dhcp combined.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.9°C)