Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
On 2016-05-08 20:56, James Knott wrote:
On 05/08/2016 02:45 PM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
As long as user gets valid prefix from ISP black box, how does it matter
whether ISP black box is using manual configuration, PD, or black magic?
Your requirement is different - you want to build something that
replaces this ISP black box.

May be it is not that common use case as you pretend it to be. Which
would explain why developers do not rash to jump the boat.

When you get a prefix, you need some method to do it automatically, so
that manual configuration is not required. That method is dhcpv6-pd. I
am not trying to replace the ISPs black box. I'm trying to work with
what they provide and that is dhcpv6-pd.

I think what Andrei calls "black box" is the ISP supplied router. You
are not using that box, if it exists, but your own box running openSUSE.

This I do no have clear: you get from the ISP not a single IP (v6), but
a range. Ie, you get a prefix, and all your internal machines have to
use that same prefix, plus something to differentiate each one
(pos-fix?). With IPv6 we not need/use NAT, but each local machine gets
one outside, real, address. Is this so?

Thus, whatever replaces dhcpd-server on the inside has to know and use
that external prefix.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)