Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
On 05/08/2016 11:26 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

On 04/19/2016 10:35 AM, Jeremy Baker wrote:
On 04/18/2016 10:30 PM, James Knott wrote:
My ISP is finally rolling out IPv6. One thing that's required is
for
the router to make a DHCPv6-PD request to get the prefix info etc.
I don't know if my router/firewall, based on openSUSE 13.1 is doing
that. I don't see anything in Wireshark that would indicate it's
making that
sort of request. I'm also not aware of any configuration that would
enable it. Does anyone know anything about this?

tnx jk

dhcpcd after 6.4.0 will request and disposition a ia-pd prefix. I'm
not
sure what version 13.1 has, but opensuse 13.2 only has version 3.2.3.
I installed dhcpcd-6.10.1 from source on leap and have been using it
to get a delegation from my isp for 3 months or so.

I just installed Leap 42.1 and found it can't even get an IPv6 address
for itself, let alone a prefix for the network. This is a step back
from 13.1, which at least could get it's own IPv6 address via dhcp.
I have Leap421 running fine on IPv6, with dhcp etc. I don't recall
having to change any config.

I'll try installing dhcpcd 6.10 and see what happens. Any
configuration required?

I have put in a request for dhcpv6-pd to be added, but I shouldn't
have had to. This is something that's becoming essential. Why are
the developers missing the boat on this???
It is odd, but obviously you're one of the very first to encounter this
issue.

Actually, no. Jeremy Baker also had this and installed a later version
of dhcpcd to get around the problem. More and more people are running
IPv6 and more and more carriers are switching to it. I've been getting
IPv6 via tunnel for 6 years and my ISP is now providing it. These days,
dhcpv6-pd is being used to provide the prefixes and must be supported by
anything that's being used as a firewall/router and that includes
Linux. A friend is experiencing a similar issue with a Trendnet
TEW-812DRU router which supports IPv6 but apparently not dhcpv6-pd.