[opensuse] Re:Vlc media player won't play videos
Hi,

I haven't played a video on my computer for about two or >three weeks,
and went to play one last evening. But all of the sudden >none of my
dvd
(video) players will work and play videos. I will try to >provide a
rundown on what is happening with each player in separate >emails. But
they were working, now they are not.

I am using Opensuse 13.2, with kde 4.14.9. The vlc player is >version
2.2.3-1.1-x86_64 from vendor http://packman-links2linus.de >The videos
am trying to play are MP4 files stored on my hard drive.

When I try to play a video with this player, the video chugs >and
alternately stops and starts, while the audio plays >normally. In
addition, the picture becomes largely pixillated and the >colors
degrade
as if the colors changed from a multitude of shades to just a >few
shades, then it corrects and starts the process all over >again.

I will need some help to fix this one.

Thanks,
Mark

As all(!) of your multimedia applications fail,
isn't it that (for the updates occurred in ffmpeg / >chromium-ffmpeg
you did inadvertedly agree to a vendor change >from packman to opensuse?
This will then have given a mixed setup with loss of >multimedia given
the known limitations of the opensuse >packages due to the copyright /
IP restrictions (see also >restricted formats).
Try to check that all files of packman of the restricted >format bunch
are correctly installed and did not change >vendor.
This will b.t.w. always happen if during the packaging the >numbers are
not completely coherent. And that does happen >more frequent that one
thinks..

Hi,
thanks for your excellent suggestion. I made sure everything was
drawn
from the Packman repository and now all the multimedia programs work
again.

Mark

I am happy to hear that. One kind request:
Since you did open quite a lot of threads, to avoid people >trying to
help out on things already cleared, could you just >close your threads
with {Solved]? The we are sure nobody is >getting confused /
frustrated.
Thank you and have a lot of fun.

vlc turns out to be the only program whose behavior is unchanged from my
initial post, which I have copied above in this email. Its still not
working correctly even though I have made sure it is drawn from the
Packman repository.

Mark