Re: [opensuse] problem with journalctl
  • From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 09:25:18 +0300
On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:33 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

03.05.2016 23:58, Per Jessen пишет:
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 05/03/2016 02:00 PM, jdd wrote:

export seems to be emplied

Yes, it is most likely you have you bash configured to do that.
It makes things like this convenient.

I don't.

If I
LANG=fr_FR.UTF8 ; journalctl
I get English :-)

If I
LANG=fr_FR.UTF8 journalctl
I get French :-)

Ditto. I wasn't aware bash had such a setting.

What 'env | grep LANG' says?

env | grep LANG
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8

Umm, I didn't test it last night, I was going from memory. In fact, with
or without ';', I get French in the two examples above. Interesting.

I do not see anything interesting here. If LANG is marked for export,
then any new value will be exported. This is how Bourne shell behaved
from the day one. Difference between the two forms is, variable
assignment as part of simple command does not change variable value in
*current* shell. And if variable is not currently marked as export it
exports it - but only for currently executed command.