Re: [opensuse] Why Is Leap 42.1 Benchmarking Poorly?
On 02/25/2016 08:53 AM, jdd wrote:
performance is not the alpha and omega. Data security is

Security has three components which needs must be considered and balanced

* Integrity
* Confidentiality
* Availability

The "Availability" is what you two are arguing over.

Availability in the face of a disaster - i.e. 'recovery' on the one
hand, and availability in terms or immediate responsiveness - i.e.
'performance' in the case of the other.

If you want to lay the "Security" card then you simply cannot ignore the
other two components of security.

If you want to play the 'recovery' card then you need to address it from
the POV of risk management. Vojtěch is making the point that, in a
limiting case, if the performance isn't there then people aren't going
to be using the system enough for it to matter.

Taking a step back, there are other ways to do 'recovery'. Not all
applications need 'right up to this second' recovery. I keep my
financial records in a database that 's backed up daily after changes.
if it crashes between backups I still have the paperwork and can
re-enter today's transactions. Its annoying, it tedious, but its not
critical. But then I'm not a bank.

The banks I've worked for use a different technique, a 'hot backup;
every transaction gets entered to a second machine, a complete
duplicate. If the 'main' machine goes down the 'hot backup' is there
immediately.

There are variations between these two and others beside.

Its about Risk Management, which means considering the types of threats
& failure modes, and other considerations.

For example, a CoW instantaneous restore of the file system is not a lot
of use of your primary computer, your whole IT centre has failed!