Re: [opensuse] Why Is Leap 42.1 Benchmarking Poorly?
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 14:43:51 +0100
On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

Our primary use for openSUSE is as a data collection system that
collects large amounts of data (megabytes a minute to various data
files, often sustained for a couple of hours at a time) that is
routinely copied off-system, and then the collected data files
deleted.

Sounds like you ought to be using tape. Or a portable SSD drive.

Tape? Haven't heard that for years. Not in the cards:)

Since the entire reason for the system existing is to collect this
data, we will make the file systems whatever is best. We collect data
to /home. Since that is pretty much all that ever happens on /home,
there is little reason to let /home be an inappropriate file system
and then put all the data elsewhere.

We set up these systems via an OEM image created with KIWI. I see that
KIWI allows us to select the file system for the created openSUSE OS
image. I wonder of we can still select ext4 when building an install
image for Leap. Or, more specifically, if such a selection is honored.

--
Roger Oberholtzer