Re: [opensuse] Why Is Leap 42.1 Benchmarking Poorly?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 14:14:57 +0100
Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

Op woensdag 24 februari 2016 20:42:35 CET schreef sdm:
This is at least the second article I've ready where Leap's
benchmarks pretty dismal:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2016-feb-6way&num=1

Why is Leap running at the back of the pack, and is there anything we
can do to speed the OS up through patching, so the benchmarks made
against it allows for more interest amongst people comparing Linux
distros? I'm not impressed at all by the latest benchmarks released
by Phoronix.

sdm

My 2 cents: too many unknown variables.

Admitted, IMHO Phoronix never brings answers, rather raises questions.
One example: why mention that XFS is used for /home and not mention
what is being used for "/"?

The others were all using ext4, it was probably a significant difference
worth mentioning. I read it to mean "openSUSE was tested on XFS, the
others on ext4.", no more, no less.

What I want from a distro is not a good benchmark score, but stuff
like having a webserver up and running in < 5 minutes without having
to edit dozens of files. Like a good and stable desktop experience.

We all have different needs. To me, boot-time is mostly irrelevant. My
servers spend way more time on POST, memory check and waiting for
network interfaces (wicked easily adds 30 seconds) anyway. Most of
them are only booted once a year :-) My desktop systems need to be
100% stable, perform reasonably well on lower to mid-range hardware,
and not change very much. (people don't like change).

IMHO these benchmarks are useful to a very limited audience, not the
audience that is going to make openSUSE grow.

The OP did write "... for more interest amongst people comparing Linux
distros".

I agree that benchmarks such as this are of little use, but not everyone
will see it that way, so we shouldn't just dismiss them.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (2.9°C)