Re: [opensuse] Why Is Leap 42.1 Benchmarking Poorly?
Op woensdag 24 februari 2016 20:42:35 CET schreef sdm:
This is at least the second article I've ready where Leap's benchmarks
pretty dismal:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2016-feb-6way&num=1

Why is Leap running at the back of the pack, and is there anything we
can do to speed the OS up through patching, so the benchmarks made
against it allows for more interest amongst people comparing Linux
distros? I'm not impressed at all by the latest benchmarks released by
Phoronix.

sdm

My 2 cents: too many unknown variables.

Admitted, IMHO Phoronix never brings answers, rather raises questions. One
example: why mention that XFS is used for /home and not mention what is being
used for "/"? Another thing: I've never seen them write about iBm, Faydora,
YoubUntu, Mynt, yet no one seems to be able to write "openSUSE Leap 42.1".
More: where are the openSUSE results in some of the benchmarks? Did all these
distros run the same services at boot? Clear Linux is designed for server
installs, what is it not running that f.e. Fedora or openSUSE do run?

What I want from a distro is not a good benchmark score, but stuff like having
a webserver up and running in < 5 minutes without having to edit dozens of
files. Like a good and stable desktop experience.

IMHO these benchmarks are useful to a very limited audience, not the audience
that is going to make openSUSE grow.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member