Re: [opensuse] boot32.efi for 64 bits processor and Leap
22.02.2016 18:36, jdd пишет:
Hello,

We see more and more often very small but powerfull computers, atom
multicore 64 bits, but with UEFI 32 bits firmware.

I have one now ("It Works TW891" paid 129€ - 32Gb ssd + 2Gb ram, runs
almost perfectly windows 10 32bits or Debian 64bits).

these computers can be installed with 64 bits distros, but they need
absolutely a 32 bits loader.

Right now I on ly know of the hybrid debian 32/64bits dvd to be able to
install.

Notice that *only the loader* have to be 32bits, the generic name being
boot32.efi

copying a generic loader to the Leap EFI folder allows booting, and
probably installing (I couldn't make all the tests), but the generic one
gives only a grub prompt, not handy.

Could it be possible to add to the Leap isos this 32 bits loader? only
this one have to be 32bits, AFAIK nothing else have to be changed.

This needs more work to be usable - currently EFI is expected to match
OS. To actually support 32 bit EFI for 64 bit OS we need

a) kernel support for exposing firmware size
(/sys/firmware/efi/fw_platform_size). This should be present as of
kernel 4.0.

b) perl-bootloader support for selecting correct platform during
bootloader installation

c) grub2-i386-efi package must be included either by default or based on
installation time check (i.e. either patterns need to be updated or
installer adjusted). Currently it is not included on 64 bit system.

And for good measure, grub2 needs patch to actually detect firmware
size, so grub2-install continue to just work.

So it is quite a lot for a released platform. I suggest you discuss it
on factory, whether it has chances for Leap. For Factory we need bug
report against perl-bootloader and grub2; and I think installer to
ensure 32 bit package is available when needed. I think, installing it
by default is the most simple.