Re: [opensuse] experiences with bache / logic of caching
On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 6:46 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The battery could maintain the cache contents for 7 days during
a hardware fault / power outage. They had the battery connected to the
system via a Y-connector. The y-connector was accessible with the
system operational. Thus if the battery died due to old age, you
connected up the new battery before you disconnected the old, ensuring
you didn't have a window of vulnerability during the battery
replacement.

Sounds very much like Compaq Storageworks HSG80 controllers and associated
write-cache batteries.

Actually, the prior incarnation (HSZ80) is what I was thinking of.

The HSZ series had a true SCSI front-end interface. The HSG had a
glass (fibre-channel) front-end. I worked with both at the time, but
I don't recall doing a battery swap on an HSG.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
www.IntelligentAvatar.net