Re: [opensuse] Now what? Glibc bug, vulnerability
On 02/17/2016 06:22 PM, Christopher Myers wrote:
Pardon my ignorance on this, but is there any way to harden the language itself
so that it's less prone to issues like this?

Not really.

C is close to assembler on steroids. It is fast and powerful because of that. If you write to a variable beyond the end of the variable, that's your sole fault as programmer. The language will not check, can not check, by design. You, the programmer, are the master and you know what you do. If you don't... disaster.

I have worked with languages that did range checks at compile and at run time. Many programmers disabled the runtime checks because they made the code slower.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from openSUSE Leap 42.1 x86_64 (test))