Re: [opensuse] experiences with bache / logic of caching
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 18:08:15 +0100
Greg Freemyer wrote:

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 7:03 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'll have to check, but I don't think adding memory will do much. The
filesystems cache is not used because there are no filesystems in use -
the raw disk space is handed out over iSCSI, just as Greg described.

Caches are per-block device, so unless you are using devices for
direct IO they should still benefit from RAM caches.

Each storage server has 4Gb, expandable to 32Gb afaict - but ietd does
use direct IO. (type=blockio). I think I need to check up on fileio vs.
blockio. Adding some more RAM is a lot easier than adding a bcache.

The purpose of O_DIRECT is to move the cache handling from kernel
space to userspace. Does ietd not implement a cache in user space?

Almost certainly not - that would somewhat negate the idea of using direct
IO. Still, I think it's an implementation left-over from years back. I have
not found any reason for using blockio vs fileio (those are the two terms
used by ietd), but I'll have to test it.

/Per