Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on ASUS ZenBook Pro?
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:39:15 +0300
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Carl Hartung
<opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think these were the instructions I needed to deal with that Acer
system! :-) It simply never occurred to me that I would need the
installed operating system's 'permission' to boot from an external
device. I don't think I like that very much. What if you're booting
from the external device because you suspect the installed OS is
compromised?

You misunderstand. You do not need Windows permissions. You need to
change BIOS settings and Windows provides tool to do it for you
without entering BIOS. But of course you can do it in BIOS as well.

http://blog.technotesdesk.com/how-to-enable-boot-from-usb-drive-in-bios-asus-zenbook/

http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008829/

Thanks, Andrei! This is very helpful. You have great search-fu
skills! :-)

The ASUS is a better design, so I wasn't expecting major difficulties.
It's the Acer I referenced earlier that appears to require UEFI access
through the OS (Windows.) At least it's accessible.

And thanks again to everyone else who has participated in this thread,
too. This project seems to be getting easier and easier! :-)

regards,

Carl