Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on ASUS ZenBook Pro?
On 2016-02-15 18:34, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Dne Po 15. února 2016 09:23:06, John Andersen napsal(a):

What about if you change to Legacy (which I suppose means turn UEFI off)
before you install Linux?

Yes, legacy is no UEFI. Then install Linux as usually...

Not quite... it is UEFI emulating, partially, BIOS.

Depending on the implementation, UEFI hooks are still there. Windows, if
installed, will have access to those hooks and modify things to its
liking, possibly creating havoc. I have seen this happen recently.
Bricked laptop. A month fighting to recover it.

It seems to me that UEFI solves mostly imaginary problems, and is as likely
to be just another attack vector as any solution to any real problem.

Well, GPT is good, but otherwise I don't see really much advance in it...

One idea behind it is providing hooks to the operating system to access
it. You manipulate what you have to manipulate from inside Windows with
the normal icons, menus, dialogs, whatever. They want to hide the "bios
screen" or make it inaccessible. Make computer "easier". And closed
appliances... you can guess what it may means to Linux and others.

Someone may have to think about creating Linux apps to access whatever
can be accessed on UEFI. Dunno.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >