Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on ASUS ZenBook Pro?
On 2016-02-15 18:23, John Andersen wrote:

What about if you change to Legacy (which I suppose means turn UEFI off)
before you install Linux?

And if you are able to install with UEFI turned off, would you recommend
that?

As long as you can install all the operating systems you wish in the
same manner, fine. Say you have A installed in "uefi mode" and B in
"bios mode". Prior to boot A or B you have to change the "bios/uefi"
config to the appropriate mode, the other will not boot.

And this may be quite problematic, I will not enter there.

If your machine is UEFI, try to install *everything* in UEFI mode.

It seems to me that UEFI solves mostly imaginary problems, and is as likely to
be just another attack vector as any solution to any real problem.

No, not true.

With BIOS you are limited to boot traditional disks with 4 primary
partitions only, and remember that typically manufacturers tend to
supply laptops with those 4 already used, so that installing Linux
becomes quite complicated.

BIOS is a design of thirty years ago. It needs a replacement, like it or
not.

With UEFI you can boot GPT disks, which have unlimited (primary)
partitions, and can boot natively unlimited operating systems.

Do not confuse with "secure boot".

Do not confuse either with the awful closed implementations of several
manufacturers.

For instance, I have seen recently a Toshiba laptop with Windows, that
does not provide any manner to reach the UEFI configuration screen from
boot. You have to wait till Windows boots, then click in the appropriate
hidden entry to access it. If Windows does not boot, the machine is
bricked, requiring imaging the disk in another computer to recover.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >