Re: [opensuse] Re: experiences with bache / logic of caching
On 02/15/2016 02:55 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
Interesting, since, the file-system structure, these days, on
file-systems that don't need or have an "fsck", is now held in the
meta-data that is written to the journal -- before data is committed
to diskmeta data.

As someone commented, we've come a long way with Linux and small systems
since the SCO days!
And yes, journalling is one of the, to my mind, most important steps
along the way.

Its worth thinking about causes and economics.
When the IBM PC first came out IBM did not consider it a serious
project, they though the demand would be for about a quarter of a
million units! Even in the SCO days any of us who took computers
seriously, saw PCs as a harbinger of the futures, those of us who had
grown up with minis, PDP-8/PDP-11 or Data General, Burroughs, or the
smaller IBM and HP machines at university found it easy enough to segue
into using the AT and later generation PCs as replacements. SCO was
just one of a number of vendors of UNIX/86 in the mid to late 1980s.
Other microprocessors came and went ...
Xenix, Unity, CoData, Onyx, Cromix, TriData, UniSoft, Appolo
and of course SCO's probable competitor that I used extensively,
Interactive.
Some were more business-like than others.
Some were more about technocrats wanting to "do" UNIX.

Somewhere along the line, after about 1995, small PCs became serious
business for SUN, IBM, Oracle. Linux had a lot to to with that :-)
PCs became 'servers' as the Internet and the WWW rose. Looking back we
can see the influence that "the Internet runs on Linux". That demanded
failsafe mechanisms like robust file systems, fail-over, management tools.

SUN and IBM pioneered a lot in this area. SUN growing upwards, IBM
dealing with applying its expertise 'downwards".

Linda's description of XFS, of journalling and write barrier techniques
is quite to the point, but how we got there is a fascinating story of
the R&D coming from surprising places.