Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on ASUS ZenBook Pro?
  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 18:34:48 +0100
Dne Po 15. února 2016 09:23:06, John Andersen napsal(a):
On 02/15/2016 09:17 AM, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Dne Po 15. února 2016 16:57:05, Carl Hartung napsal(a):
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 17:46:16 +0100 Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
As far as I know, Windows > 8 requires UEFI - legacy mode is an option
for Windows 7. Otherwise it depends on implementation of UEFI by
particular manufacturer... :-/>>
As I suspected ... thanks, Vojtěch!

Just a note for completeness: if You have default Windows installation and
then change UEFI to legacy, the partition won't be bootable/accessible.
But similar will be truth for Linux - GRUB won't be able to boot after
such change.

What about if you change to Legacy (which I suppose means turn UEFI off)
before you install Linux?

Yes, legacy is no UEFI. Then install Linux as usually... The point is UEFI
requires extra UEFI partition, so if You install without UEFI and then turn it
on, UEFI/GRUB will miss that partition. When turning it off after installation,
GRUB (or Windows bootloader) would be confused and not work either.

And if you are able to install with UEFI turned off, would you recommend
that?

From my personal experience not at all. Current BIOS seem to be so cripple
that without UEFI there are not all functions available (some were noted in
the thread). Also, UEFI works with GPT, legacy with MBR. I think those are the
only working combinations. Sometimes it is important...

It seems to me that UEFI solves mostly imaginary problems, and is as likely
to be just another attack vector as any solution to any real problem.

Well, GPT is good, but otherwise I don't see really much advance in it...

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux