Re: [opensuse] experiences with bache / logic of caching
On 02/14/2016 11:34 AM, Olav Reinert wrote:
Certainly a SSD, which will retain content, can, if
the
supporting software is there to do the job, ameliorate this. It gets
back to the issue of the window/timing. But there are a few too many
'ifs" in this to inspire confidence in an old cynic like me.

I agree that caching can be non-trivial. As for write caching, bcache
also supports writethrough.

I'd prefer to use that :-)

With writeback, bcache releases system calls as soon as the blocks
involved have been written to the SSD. Flushing to the underlying
storage happens later, asynchronously. Importantly, bcache guarantees
that the system can be safely shut down even if the cache is dirty; it
will resume flushing at the next reboot.

I hope so!
IIR there was even one rather more savvy cache manufacturer on the SCO
days who had a batter backup on the cache board. I don't think they
fared any better. Call me a cynic, but I still think that the order of
the writes, or honouring the order that the OS and file system designers
think the ordering of the writes should be, does matter.