Re: [opensuse] What is the meaning of these firewall log entries?
On 2016-02-12 17:34, Mark Goldstein wrote:
On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

Could be the firewall dropping icmp on that interface, not realizing it is
needed by some
packages. Dropping ICMP at machines that are behind your main internet
firewall is often
less than productive.

Ah. I see... but I think that ICMP is allowed on all my computers. Or so I
thought.

I do not understand why ICMP is sent at all. According to your
description netcat is listening to UDP port 6666 on 192.168.1.15. This
icmp usually means that nobody on destination host listens to the
specific port.

This may be related to the main problem, that I can't make netconsole to
work again. It was working during Novemeber-December, till a reboot.

[opensuse] Can't get remote kernel logging working.

Basically, I do:

modprobe netconsole
cd /sys/kernel/config/netconsole/
mkdir target1
cd target1/

echo "00:03:0D:05:17:FC" > remote_mac
echo 6666 > remote_port
echo 192.168.1.15 > remote_ip
cat dev_name
echo 1 > enabled

But nothing arrives at the destination machine 192.168.1.15.
however, netcat works. Well, it was working three hours ago, now it
doesn't (and nothing on both firewalls). Oh, ok, it works after
restarting netcat on the destination. Weird.

That's why I was interested in these firewall log entries. I know (now)
that it is not the first time I have got caught by this issue of icmp, I
opened it in the firewall, then I forgot. Sigh.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)