On 02/11/2016 07:52 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Yes, you can correct for aberrations with software, but realistically,
only for the defects common for the entire tirade of a set of optics;
not for the defects particular to your unit. Unless there is a simple
way to create those corrections yourself for a single camera.

Disagree.
Well I agree only so far as if you want a standardized package at
lensfun for that model lens, but there's no reason you have to use the
"as shipped" package any more than you do with a Linux distribution of a
house.

Back in the cold war era the NSA used to ask for the junky little
camera, the equivalent of the little ones that I used to see on the
tables at wedding, a sealed unit with 24 shots of 35mm film in a plastic
box with a plastic lens, that came from spies. The asked for the
complete camera, film unexposed. Using NASA technology the enhanced the
image even before the film was developed. Using lasers they examines
how 'flat' and how aligned the film was, the optical characteristics of
the lens. This on a case-by-case basis.

They did this with computers that weren't as powerful as what I have
here on my desk today. The real issue was how they examined the equipment.

There's no reason we need to have a flat image plane. The human eye
doesn't! In fact most biological systems have 'eyes' where the image
surface is quite irregular. Its the processing that counts.

So its not just your individual lens, its your individual lens=camera.
There's no guarantee your image plane is perfectly perpendicular to the
light path, for a variety of reasons from manufacturing though to the
lens coupling.

It gets to reductio ad absurdum.

But the lensfun model is FOSS. You can analyse your own lens+camera
model and put that in your own library.

If you care that much.