On 2016-02-02 00:39, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 02/01/2016 05:51 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

As for distortion, ALL LENSES DISTORT! Some more noticeably than
others. Some do it with shape, some with colour.

The whole point of digital photography is that this can be corrected
with software. I don't know if vendor software does it; I don't run
Windows. I *DO* know that there is/are database(es) of lens
characterises. Programs like Adobe's Photoshop and even Darktable can
access them and make use of them to do correction..

I think it is darktable, it doesn't have entries for my lenses.

About Canon: I'm biased against it. Canon printers are badly supported
by Linux, and I don't expect cameras to be different. The brand is very
closed.

Contrariwise, while they aren't very innovative, compared to Fuji, Sony
or even Nikon in the DSLR arena, some of the smaller cameras such as the
G10/11/12 are brilliant.

And they make DAMN GOOD LENSES!

Yes. I agree with that. But they are not friendly to Linux.

If you go for some of the smaller mirrorless cameras, the Olympus,
Panasonic, the Four-thirds and Micro-four-thirds, then the community
rants and raves over Canon glass going on eBay or other sales that they
can use with adapter rings, even though this means giving up the
automatic functions, because the glass is so exemplary.

I looked at buying one of those micros after borrowing that Oly a few
years ago and hung out in the forums/lists for a while. In that way,
all the brands are 'closed', but so what? It's not as if there is "Open
source" replacement for the s/w for any of the cameras or lenses as
there is for Android cell phones. We're spoilt coming from a Linux
background, its distorted out outlook.

Yes, as I said, I'm biased ;-)

I do not want to buy Canon if I can avoid it.
And Nikon is an old camera manufacturer.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)