Re: [opensuse] Need distro advice. Problems installing Leap.
On 02/10/2016 10:13 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Jim Sabatke wrote:

On Feb 10, 2016, at 1:14 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jim Sabatke wrote:

OK, I've done two installs and both had almost the exact same
problems, they wouldn't reboot after the install. I've really never
had a problem installing a SuSE distro until Leap. The first was on
my desktop, which has 4 SATA drives. I initially used the
installer's
recommended configuration, with / on sda and /home on sda. That
refused to boot, with a blank screen on reboot, until I put /home on
sda. Then it went perfectly.

That sounds totally odd. I think it's highly unlikely that this has
actually to do with what's being mounted where.

FWIW, I have two Leap systems -

a test desktop, nvidia graphics, boots from software raid1.
a server with very basic graphics, booting from iSCSI.

Then I tried to load Leap on a friend's laptop. He had only one
drive, so I figured it would be easy. Same problem on reboot with a
blank, unresponsive screen.

Sounds like a graphics issue, in both cases perhaps. You're an
experienced user - did you try switching to a virtual console,
Ctrl-Alt-F1 ? It's been a little while since I've dabbled with
difficult graphics cards, my desktops are all fairly backlevel
hardware-wise. Did you try using "nomodeset"?

First, thanks for the effort so far.

I tried the virtual console, no luck. I have a GeForce 9800 GT sound
card. Resolution is 1680x1050.

Sounds good except not being able to get to a virtual console is not so
good. If you google that card, you'll see some problems with it - I
wonder if blacklisting 'nouveau' might be worth trying.

If you can access the system via ssh, try removing 'nouveau', otherwise
you can blacklist it when you're booting: "BrokenModules=nouveau".

Some reference material:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way#openSUSE_Tumbleweed_and_Leap

I did not try nomodeset. I'm about ready to try the other guy's laptop
as soon as he gets me some network info, so I'll try that if it
happens again. The laptop has Windows 8.1, does that provide any
challenges I may have missed?

I doubt it, but it's been years since I've dabbled in Windows.

I had some problems too with Leap and Tumbleweed, also using the same video chip set. However, Per had asked you to provide more details. The notion that the system "hangs" is rather fuzzy. When does it hangs, do you see anything happen.

Otherwise, revert to 13.2 which is till 2017 still good enough.

Frans.