Re: [opensuse] Leap42: can't override dracut's initrd ?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 07:56:47 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-02-08 15:20, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-02-08 14:10, Per Jessen wrote:

It would appear that the dracut initrd ignores my cmdline
settings? Or more likely, I'm doing something wrong.

What about the fstab entry?

Yes, thanks, that is an option, although it is obviously not read
before the root is first mounted.

I'm not familiar with dracut, but previously, initrd had a copy of
fstab, so that it can be read before the root filesystem is mounted.
To apply the change, you have to run mkinitrd before rebooting.

I understand that, but that is exactly what I don't want to do, Carlos.
I want a _temporary_ override at boot time. It works very well with
initrds built by the old mkinitrd.

Anyway, the problem has been solved. Dracut isn't as backward
compatible as it pretends, I needed a different set of initrd cmdline
arguments.

This (the rootflasgs setting) no longer works:

root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=10.42.8.254:/srv/nfs/stork2/root
rootflags=v3,hard,intr

Instead, this works with initrds built by dracut:

root=nfs:10.42.8.254:/srv/nfs/stork2/root:rw,relatime,v3,hard,intr

The above should also work with initrds built by the old mkinitrd. For
those of us with elderly systems still running.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (2.6°C)