Re: [opensuse] 13.2 vs Leap vs Tumbleweed
On 02/07/2016 02:15 PM, Richard Brown wrote:
On 7 February 2016 at 22:58, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'd be happy to establish and run a "Friends of openSUSE Verein" here in
Switzerland, but as long as there is no openSUSE entity to receive the
sponsoring, it would be pointless.

Other opensource organisations could be supported obviously - KDE eV, Apache
Foundation etc.

And what would that achieve? KDE eV, GNOME Foundation, etc, do not
hire developers.

And that's precisely the problem, as you pointed out in your longer posting
up-thread.

There are already ways to contribute to KDE complete with paypal button, and
I've done so at least
once a year.

The Opensuse site accepts code and hardware. And believe me they wouldn't want
the hardware I cast
off.

But no way to contribute to Opensuse for paying developers, or maintainers to
fix and maintain older
stuff, or even tackle bug reports. Opensuse has no "visible means of support"
which means its
existence is probably subject to the whim of the ownership of Suse, which have
seemed progressively
less and less likely to be interested with each change of hands.

Opensuse has historically been a testbed for SLES/SLED, but now, with Leap, it
seems less so, and
more like a Remora, hitching a ride on a shark, and as such dead-weight as
viewed by Suse ownership,
and the current ownership of Suse has proven themselves a pretty mercenary
bunch over the last 20
years that I have had dealings with them. I suspect if the comptroller of
Microfocus
catches a cold, Opensuse could find itself a fatality.

Side Issue:
Why does no one produce a derivative distro based on Opensuse? Yet Arch,
arguably a much smaller
organization, has dozens of derivatives, some of them rather impressive
(Manjaro).
Is Opensuse just so good that there is no room for improvement? Does someone
actively work to
prevent this?