[opensuse] Leap42 - which iscsi target to chose?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 09:33:33 +0100
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

07.02.2016 22:20, Per Jessen пишет:
On 13.1 and earlier, I have installed 'iscsitarget' (ietd), but
that's not available in Leap 42.1 ? I can't see another iscsi server
either - can someone point me in the right direction? ISTR
something about ietd being deprecated in favour of lio, but I can't
find that either.

I'm not sure about deprecation, but as far as I understand LIO is
kernel based, so only configuration tools exist.

Yes I see that now, thanks. We've been using iscsitarget
(http://iscsitarget.sourceforge.net/) for a couple of years, but as I
am setting up a new set of storage servers, I wanted to see what else
is out there. With 'deprecated' I meant in open/SUSE where we clearly
favour LIO/tcm. Hannes Reinecke is active in LIO development, I think.
It would also appear that IET/iscsitarget is falling behind
featurewise.

I found this comparison table, but I can't tell how un/biased it is:
http://scst.sourceforge.net/comparison.html

It seems that SCST is an IET fork, which appeals to me as we already
have IET running.
Then I came across a very recent thread on linux-scsi about a proposed
LIO/SCST merger, but the LIO and SCST guys don't seem overly friendly
to one another.
https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-scsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg46756.html

From having googled a good few hours, I feel only minimally better
informed, but for some reason I tend toward SCST. Both LIO and SCST
seem to be backed/sponsored/supported by corporate entities - Datera
and Sandisk respectively?

This article describes exactly what I intend to build, but neglects to
make a recommendation wrt which iscsi target implementation:
http://www.nnc3.com/mags/LJ_1994-2014/LJ/217/11275.html

Would anyone else care to add their opinions?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.3°C)