Re: [opensuse] 13.2 vs Leap vs Tumbleweed
On 02/07/2016 04:39 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
Maintenance of 'old stuff' is time consuming, complex and often
thankless work that often requires more thought and effort than
developing new stuff.

This is true of programming in general. It doesn't matter if it is
a distro, or an accounting system.

This is why the best programmers are actually found in a maintenance role,
entrusted
with the preservation of the entire enterprise. There is just too much
"captured
intelligence" embedded in "legacy" systems to abandon them.

Probably nothing can be done to fix the mindset of KDE development organization.
They suffer from simultaneous infections of brilliance and "we don't care about
your
problems" (I was tempted to use stronger language there).

These are smart but very UN-professional guys.

There was a time when it was possible, nay, even encouraged to financially
support
opensuse, such that there could be paid employees to take care of slightly
older packages
in maintenance mode. (Or do whatever needs doing that no one volunteers to do).

I at one time had an entire shelf of boxed sets of SuSE Linux, paid for out of
pocket,
purchased more for the manuals and supporting the organization than rapidly
obsolete disks.
All that died with the sale to Novel. Perhaps it needed to die.

Maybe we should look to re-establish some semblance of a business plan for
support of
Opensuse.

Who among us couldn't afford $25 (or more) a year automatic pay-pale if the
system prompted us
on some anniversary date, with a don't show me this again button?