[opensuse] Need distro advice. Problems installing Leap.
I've used SuSE for well over 20 years, going back to either 3.x or 4.x, I don't
remember which. It's been a really long time. I'm amazed how the product has
grown by leaps and bounds regularly, and I update my own computers fairly
often, if not every release.

I also keep some friends systems up to date, as well as manage hardware on
their systems, mostly because they don't understand how to help themselves, and
they've payed, quite literally, thousands of dollars a year to have
professionals remove more malware than I would ever have imagined that a system
could acquire so quickly. Since installing Linux, the malware problems have
gone away.

The problem now is that I need to update some older systems. Because I don't
charge for the help, I really don't want to spend hours upon hours trying to
figure out what's going wrong with failed installs. Leap has presented me with
numerous challenges, first at home, where I had to put the /home directory on
on of the first two disks or the system refused to boot. It took me many days,
and a LOT of hours to figure that out, but now it works fine. So, armed with
that understanding, I took an install disk to a friends' house and installed
Leap, creating the two directories on the only disk. After a lengthy load, the
install hangs again after the reboot. I don't have s lot of time to figure
this out, so I have a couple questions:

Does Leap have known problems getting a working system up and running,
especially apparently not being able to find the system after reboot? I've
seen some of the Leap install problems posts here, but none seemed like my
problems.

Is there a more reliable, recent distro that I would be better advised to use?

TIA,

Jim

Thus spake iPad.