Re: [opensuse] 13.2 vs Leap vs Tumbleweed
On 02/07/2016 02:57 AM, Oliver Kurz wrote:
On Sunday 07 February 2016 10:03:28 Per Jessen wrote:
Richard Brown wrote:
On 7 February 2016 at 00:40, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>

wrote:
<lots of good stuff ending on this point>

If anyone thinks pre-2015 Factory ever had pre-release testing
anywhere close to that they're simply wrong.
Well said

Not only that, but since 2014, SUSE have now adopted openQA for
testing their enterprise distributions and addons, so it should go
without saying that it's effective, broad, trustworthy testing. oooh,
I guess we can say it's 'Enterprise Grade' even ;)

(and if anyone is wondering - yes, SUSE actively contribute their SLE
test cases back into openSUSE - we have just one shared test suite for
SLE/Leap/Tumbleweed which provides the code for those hundreds of
scenarios and thousands of different test module runs)
Do you know where one can go to see what's being tested?
TL;DR: Yes, Greg already described it, read again :-)

Greg just posted a very nice introduction of how you can get it from openQA
but I will try again to explain that maybe from a slightly different
perspective even though this would be a more appropriate topic for "opensuse-
factory".

Starting from
http://openqa.opensuse.org/
you can see what products are currently tested, e.g. Tumbleweed - as a DVD
image from Factory snapshot, as well as updates for the releases of e.g.
openSUSE 13.2 and openSUSE Leap 42.1. Selecting any Tumbleweed build, say
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/overview?distri=opensuse&version=Tumbleweed&build=20160205&groupid=1
you can see a table with a column "Test" describing individual scenarios next
to green, not-so-green and red bubbles under the column "x86_64", probably the
architecture you are interested in. The test scenarios as stated describe
which "scenarios" are tested, e.g. starting from top a "RAID0" installation
and such. Other scenarios go further than installing trying out if
applications work, e.g. "gnome" also testing browsers, etc..
Click on the bubbles to find out what steps exactly are executed in which
scenario.
If you are interested if a certain application is working fine, say "firefox",
this is tested for each Tumbleweed snapshot, as well as e.g. gnucash. So you
can be sure that basic functionality is tested every time. If one would
encounter a serious issue in one of these applications and it is missed by the
openQA tests, feel free to help providing these tests.
If you think an application which is not covered should be tested I would
recommend to propose it to the openQA test developers first and discuss if and
where it should be included. Of course, if we would include all possible
applications and scenarios for every product the tests would run too long and
we would never get a new Tumbleweed snapshot so a decision has to be made of
which importance to a release a certain application is. Certainly, major
priority falls to packages included in the DVD image.

If you want to learn more about openQA, go to http://openqa.opensuse.org/,
click "Learn more", ask on opensuse-factory mailling list or IRC channel.

Regards,
Oliver
Under Plasma 5 on TW, there's a quite severe memory leak in X or plasmashell (i'm not sure where it lies) that causes RAM usage on my machine to skyrocket to over 5 GB in 12 hours. It's X that consumes the large amount of memory, but from what I've gathered plasmashell can be the culprit and cause X to appear it's leaking memory when it's really not. That makes TW unusable for me at this point in time for a production machine. Everything was fine up until about a month ago, when an updated TW snapshot was released. That's when the skyrocketing X memory usage started happening. On the same machine this does not occur under Leap, and this is with using an ATI video card with the open source drivers installed with Leap.

I installed Fedora on a second machine running Plasma 5 for testing purposes, and the same leak occurred so it's not specific to Tumbleweed or my specific machine. The point is, though, that in cases like this, staying a few versions behind allows for greater stability. That's what SLED is all about. Imagine if companies purchased a license to run SLED but SLED with Tumbleweed packages. Does anybody really think that would be a good idea? How is OpenQA going to simulate the myriad of hardware out there where specific hardware can exploit bugs?

I'm not buying the whole argument that Tumbleweed is the "tried and true" "stable" desktop. Proof is in the putting, not marketing speak.

sdm