Re: [opensuse] Missing h.264 support in Firefox 44.0
Am 06.02.2016 um 06:11 schrieb SDM:
On 02/05/2016 01:58 PM, Krisztián Angyal wrote:
Hi

I got a problem with playing videos in firefox 44.0 under opensuse leap 42.1.
I installed codecs like written on the http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php
website, but the problem still exists.
When I open youtube's html5 support site, I can see, that the codecs are
correctly installed and working, excepted H.264. Firefox can play html5
videos, but other sites like vimeo or tumblr can't.
All values under about:config -> mediasource.*.enabled are true.
Youtube can play html5 videos, but many other sites like facebook, tumblr
etc.
can't.
How could I let firefox play mp4 videos?
Thank you for your help :)

On my machine on Leap, I have an out-of-the-box install with FF 44 also, and
just tested playing a few videos on vimeo. I don't have chromium-pepper-flash
installed nor have installed anything from
http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.phpvlc-codecs. I can play the H.264 video
found
here: http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html. One thing I did
install
from Packman was gstreamer-plugins-libav, as that provides mp4 playback as
well
as allows for mp3 playback within webpages in FF. I'm not sure if there is an
H.264 codec within that package.

Since Firefox 43 you should have ffmpeg and libavcodec from packman instead the
original repositories. Firefox tries to use libavcodec directly and the fallback
to GStreamer (libav) does not correctly work because the ffmpeg compiled with
openSUSE is supporting weird combinations of codecs so Firefox _thinks_ it might
be able to play H.264 while it does not in many cases.

Wolfgang