Re: [opensuse] 13.2 vs Leap vs Tumbleweed
On 02/07/2016 04:34 AM, Richard Brown wrote:

As soon as are add *any* non-official repository, you are no longer
running a 'pure'/untainted openSUSE Leap system

You're running your very own custom distribution which is awesome if
it works, but if it breaks, you should not blame Leap or the openSUSE
Project - it is a problem of your own creation

The official Leap repositories are:

=Binaries=
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/non-oss/

=Updates=
http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.1/
http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.1/non-oss/

=Sources=
http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/
http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/non-oss/

=Debug Info=
http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/
http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/leap/42.1/oss/

Anything else is NOT part of the openSUSE Leap 42.1 distribution.

I state this not only from the legal perspective (Leap 42.1 is
published under the GPLv2) but also a technical one - only the above
repositories are build together, tested together, and therefore should
be assumed to work perfectly together

Of course, there are other repositories from other sources which,
while not 'official', do try and provide packages that can be relied
upon for use with openSUSE Leap 42.1

NVIDIA drivers, ATI drivers, Packman, are all examples of community
run repositories which at least attempt to maintain compatibility and
fully support Leap 42.1

I can see your point to some extent, but really, *who* actually runs a "pure untainted openSUSE Leap system" by that definition? I would expect that 99% of the openSUSE user base do install things from repositories like packman, NVIDIA drivers, ATI drivers, etc. just in order to get normal work done. Maybe not everyone is installing some of the more esoteric packages, but I sincerely hope the developers are taking into account that the system has to be stable enough to work with more than just what is considered "pure".

After all, if other distributions are doing what is necessary to make sure that their user base is satisfied, but the devs of opensuse are dogmatically committed to only making "pure" opensuse work, then I can see only 1 result - a reduction in the user base. None of us want to see that happen.

I realize they can't be responsible for everything, but Plasma 5 was just far too unstable when it was released with Leap. I still have kwin_x11 crash on me from time to time without any explanation. This has happened right from the beginning when the only thing I had was a "pure" installation. I like the look of plasma 5 better, but up until Leap was released, I was always able to get my system working from installation within a couple of days, even when I was still basically a noob. With Leap it took 3 weeks.

And just moving to a different desktop environment isn't hardly a solution. I did move over to gnome for a while during the transition period, but I like kde much better and finally decided I just had to figure out how to make it work. I find the customizability of KDE to be invaluable for the work I do on my pc, and so it is imperative that I have a working KDE system.

I know it will improve. Whenever there is a big jump, there are more bugs to work out. I have heard that there were a lot of loud complaints when the switch was made from KDE 3 to KDE 4. Now we are into 5. I think many of us are very much in favor of participating in the transition process, but there is a threshold of the number of bugs that determines whether a new system is useable or not. For normal guys like me, I like opensuse in order to use it - the more time I have to spend to make it work, the less useful it is to me. I am willing to do what is necessary and learn many of the technical things in order to make it work, so I am not boxed into an expensive proprietary system like windows. However at the end of the day, whether or not the system is useable is what makes the difference.

This is all just philosophical anyway. I know the devs are working hard to make opensuse a strong, stable, and competitive system, and I am actually fairly pleased with Leap even though it took some work to get it going the way I wanted.

--
George
Box #1: 42.1 | KDE Plasma 5 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB