Re: [opensuse] 13.2 vs Leap vs Tumbleweed
On 02/06/2016 02:03 PM, Michael Fischer wrote:

Slightly different take on the question, as I've multiple machines due
for a system update.

Would experienced list members characterize most of the problems with Leap
to be around KDE and tightly-related software, or other things?

Any serious issues around ext4 or Oracle VirtualBox? I haven't seen any
on the list which weren't "user ooops" in the end, but perhaps I missed
or misunderstood something.

I don't use any KDE (beyond okular), so if the answer is "its mostly about
the current iteration of KDE & related software" then Leap sounds like
the best approach for longest support - or such is my impression.

Any arguments to the contrary?

Thanks.

Michael (on 12.3)

If you just install linux with no Desktop Environment, chances are
just about any distro will do, and you will have no problem with it.

This is why some of us here have servers running very old releases
without any problems, because all they do is serve files, printers,
databases, and email.

Any Desktop environment brings human interaction, and humans notice
things that bother them.

It all works very well if you ask me. I've sworn off BTRFS after losing
data twice within in 6 months, but that wasn't on Leap.

Thing break, you file bug reports. (Although this is often not very effective
as the vast majority of bug reports languish until a new release comes out
and they they are marked wontfix because they are for an older release, even
when the problem persists in the new release.)