Re: [opensuse] 13.2 vs Leap vs Tumbleweed
On 02/06/2016 01:04 PM, Frans de Boer wrote:
I very much liked Tumbleweed+KDE+Plasma, but only when it is stable enough. A
Rolling release does -
in my opinion - not mean it has to be completely/mostly untested.

True.

The whole point of Rolling Releases is to prevent disruption caused by the
constant upgrade cycle.
LTS releases are the static way of handling that same problem. Rolling releases
are meant to never
encounter the update problem.

Rolling is supposed to be MORE tested. Nothing should be allowed to roll until
it impacts nothing
that is not going to roll. Then it all rolls at once. Theoretically rolling
releases should be
what is desired for production systems. But somehow that has never worked out
yet.

Almost every Distro that has a rolling release has had one major f***up along
the way that
broke their rolling release, but most have learned from it.

I don't consider Tumbleweed to be a rolling release when it is planned to
re-base it every once in a
while, which implies a pretty major untested upgrade process.

Just as you get used to not having to re install (and you skills get degraded),
bank! Tumbleweed
re-bases and all bets are off.