Re: [opensuse] 13.2 vs Leap vs Tumbleweed
On 02/06/2016 07:58 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
Frans de Boer composed on 2016-02-06 12:53 (UTC+0100):

Leap is now around for some time, so I wonder if it is stable enough
nowadays to be used instead of 13.2. The later is kind off showing his age.

I waited over a year to upgrade my primary machine from 11.4 to 13.1,
proceeding to 13.1 only after 13.2 was released, in order to eventually take
advantage of Evergreen. It was not my favorite upgrade. The only upgrade I
preferred to the prior version was one of 10.2, 11.0 or 11.2. All were too
long ago to remember.

Less than a month after release of 42.1 I "upgraded" from 13.1 to it (via
fresh install to different / on md filesystem). I'm glad I did.

On my primary machine the only DE I used and use is KDE3. I use 8 virtual
desktops, each with unique wallpaper, something impossible with other DEs I
have any familiarity with. I run 7 different windows of 5 different Mozilla
products 23.9/7 (I shut the primary down briefly daily to back it up
separately), and at times 1 or 2 or even 3 additional. Other than the
Mozillas, the only non-KDE3 apps I use are Gimp, LO, and various MM apps from
Packman.

For me, 42.1 on this machine seems as stable as anything I've ever used.

Felix, KDE3 is not the choice I made.

As for others: yes, using packages from elsewhere is also a risk for stability - no crashes and continues performance. That was not what I used, I used just the basic repositories. But, as with any first release, I mostly skip these first releases because they tend to be somewhat unstable. By renaming the first release a .1 release instead of .0, does not make the system more reliable. It is just a name change, nothing else. Quality does not change because you name the first release a .1 release!

So, I ques I wait until Leap 42.2 before I try again.
For daily production I keep on using 13.2 and use Tumbleweed as a playground as long as it takes to have a more stable environment.
If Tumbleweed is indeed nothing more then a renamed factory, it is unreliable for daily use and I probably will remove it in due time.

I very much liked Tumbleweed+KDE+Plasma, but only when it is stable enough. A Rolling release does - in my opinion - not mean it has to be completely/mostly untested.

Frans.