Re: [opensuse] 13.2 vs Leap vs Tumbleweed
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 15:58:29 +0100
Frans de Boer wrote:

On 02/06/2016 01:13 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Frans de Boer wrote:

Dear reader,

When I initially tried Leap, the stability was a disaster. So, I
went back to Tumbleweed. Which at the time was stable enough.
However, from time to time I still have to go back to 13.2 because
Tumbleweed is not always so stable.

Leap is now around for some time, so I wonder if it is stable enough
nowadays to be used instead of 13.2. The later is kind off showing
his age.

Hi Frans

for everyday office work, I would go with 13.2. As for showing its
age,
you should see my 10.3 workstation (veryyyyy stable though). I have
a test desktop with Leap, but it's not reliable.

I know now that using Tumbleweed is participating in a lottery, but
has OpenSUSE nothing newer to offer which is just as stable as 13.2
is?

Not to my knowledge. Right now, 13.2 is my preferred version.

Thanks Per,

Just as I expected the reply would be. And yes, I had 10.3 before
13.2, but some libraries needed to be updated, which in turn called
for many dependencies aka, much manual labor.

Yeah - so far, 10.3 does everything I need it to, and I'm too lazy to
upgrade it.

Tumbleweed was a nice idea, but they use (fresh) factory packages for
it to fill it, which - in my opinion - is a sure recipe for trouble.

Yes, TW is a playground, something always breaks. Which is fine, TW
users know about and (presumably) don't have to rely on it.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.9°C)