Re: [opensuse] maintaining dynamic ip addr
On 2016-02-02 08:22, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

What people do is compare the current external IP with what it was the
previous cron job run, and only tell dyndns when it actually changed.

Which is superfluous and a little wasteful.

Consider:

1. check my external IP = one http request
2. if changed, new http request to update

as opposed to:

1. one http request to update. (obviously, the provider knows if any
actual change happened).

I remember reading at one dynamic IP site that they explicitly asked
people not to update the IP if it had not changed, to reduce load on
their servers. I don't remember where I read this.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)