On 02/02/2016 04:31 AM, jdd wrote:

most 100€ pocket cams are not better than low cost smartphone...

I hate generalizations like that!

Recall John said
<quote>
I don't know. There is a lot of FUD running around loose in the world
that drapes itself in the mantle of wisdom, which is, at best, based on
one influential guy's unfortunate experience with ancient software.
</quote>

The same applies to cameras and smartphones.
"Yes it used to be but we changed all that".

I gave the example of the 20M Sony for US$63. There are a LOT of
cameras at the $100/100Euro mark, around 16M, that have better lenses
and sensors than phones even at the $500-$700 range.

And that being said, there are some excellent site demonstrating the
capability of the cellphone camera. Go google.
One example of what phones can do is at Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/flickr/galleries/72157644100931123/

JDD makes a case for the use of high-end equipment for a specific and
extreme situations. I do understand his use case. In my mid teens I
was asked to photograph the class production of "Our Town" simply
because I was one of the two people in the upper school who had a
camera. That was with my first Canon. Its not like studio or
Industrial where you can set up the lighting, the reflectors, pose the
models.

But not everyone is operating under his constraints, not everyone is
shooting in a studio under controlled conditions, not everyone is making
a living from photography and being able to justify high end equipment
on a business basis. That doesn't mean, for those of us that this is a
'hobby', that we don't apply ourselves, have a critical eye, do the
feedback and improvement thing.
http://petapixel.com/2014/05/06/15-easy-ways-improve-photo-skills-without-buying-new-gear/

The advice to 'study the masters' is something to take seriously. I
recall when I first came across a book of Ansel Adam's landscapes. I
was in tears. Colour is too easy! After that I spend 5 years working
solely in B&W, trying all manner of exposure tests and experiment,
light, shadow, angles. Sometimes I look at a scene and see it in 'noir'
or perhaps in monotones.

Technology shouldn't be a crutch.

At
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/shootout-redux-smartphone-camera-vs-tricked-out-dslr-one-year-later/
I hardly think it's fair to compare a Canon 5DIII + post processing in
DxO with an iPhone. Cost vs effort. As he says, digital zoom degrades
heavily. And:
<quote>
Ultimately, the winner here is the smartphone, not the DSLR. The DSLR
triumphs technically, and it will produce better images under almost any
circumstance, but it’s just hella hard to stack it against the iPhone’s
portability and "good enough"-ness.

Is the smartphone better? No. The DSLR and its lenses, even in my
unskilled hands, produce higher-quality images, period. They’re higher
resolution, and they contain more detail. It’s impossible for the
iPhone’s little 8.5mm-ish sensor to grab as many photons as the DSLR’s
big 35mm full-frame sensor. The DSLR wins every time, and the iPhone’s
output, while good, isn’t as good.

But that’s the thing: the smartphone may not produce the same massive,
high-detail 22MP images as the full-frame DSLR, but the smartphone does
manage to be good enough. Under most lighting conditions indoor or
outdoor, the iPhone produced images that were perfectly acceptable—more
than good enough to post on Facebook or e-mail to friends and family. If
you're taking photos for print publication, a DSLR is the way to go; for
personal use, a smartphone is perfectly fine. Even if cost is no object
and dropping $9,000 on a DSLR and a bunch of lenses doesn’t faze you,
the smartphone is still good enough for just about anything.
</quote>

Yes, smartphones have a lot of compromises: small sensors, thin bodies
necessitate small lenses. Physics dictates all this.