On 02/01/2016 05:04 PM, jdd wrote:

I began with an EOS 350D, then an EOS50D, but even the second was too
limited in dark, very poor light I have to deal with, so I had to pay
for what I needed. In fact, I change hardware when the old one can't
anymore make what I ask.

Ultimately its an issue of the light gathering power of the lens.
Historically, Canon produced a couple of extraordinary lenses in this
area then stopped making them, they are collectors pieces now.

One, IIR, was a F0.9 lens. A 50mm "dream lens"
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/06/03/the-canon-50mm-f0-95-dream-lens-an-amazing-dreamy-classic-50mm-on-the-m-240/
http://www.paulmarbrook.com/sony-a7-canon-50mm-f0-95-dream-lens/

More recently, Leica have come up with a F0.9 lens
http://www.amazon.com/Leica-50mm-f0-95-ASPH-E60/dp/B001IKEX68
I'm not saying you should buy that one.

IIR Canon also produces an exemplary f1.2 lens that was clear and
distortion free at full aperture!

Many people say that Canon produce one of the best ranges of lenses of
any DSLR.
And some 'classics'
http://www.canonclassics.com/lenses.php?brand=Canon&mount=FDn&type=Prime

The downside is that much of the best Canon glass is FD mount.
Or ..
http://petapixel.com/2014/09/18/old-inexpensive-and-tack-sharp-canons-best-lenses-you-dont-know-about/

I then noticed than high end cameras have not only better hardware, but
also much better software than low end ones,

LOL! Same with cars. Power systems, air conditioning, automatic gears,
anti-skid brakes and more started with the high-end luxury "boats' and
eventually trickled down to the mid range, compacts and subcompacts.
Its happening with camera world as well.

That said I also have a small Sony RX100MII mostly for holidays use (the
5D is pretty heavy :-)

And hey, your cell phone is even lighter.
It looks like "4k" is a the new standard, but Nokia did produce a 41Meg
camera phone.
http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/lumia1020/

http://www.phonerated.com/top-rated-best-overall-camera-phones-global
http://allusefulinfo.com/top-5-smartphones-with-more-than-20-mp-camera/