On 02/01/2016 05:51 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But you see, the example small camera you cite later, at about 400$, are
at the price range of my SLR. My pocket camera is under 100€. I can't
afford to buy another, not now.

I'm not asking you to, especially with the way the economy and the
currencies are right now.

The example I was giving were to make the point.

I know, for instance, that the compact cameras I have used distort. It
is very noticeable when shooting rooms, the lines in the walls are bent.

John Anderson said
<quote>
I don't know. There is a lot of FUD running around loose in the world
that drapes itself in the mantle of wisdom, which is, at best, based on
one influential guy's unfortunate experience with ancient software. If
you took the same advice about computers we'd all be using abacuses.
</quote>

It goes for hardware as well. There are many products that have
failures associated with them.

As for distortion, ALL LENSES DISTORT! Some more noticeably than
others. Some do it with shape, some with colour.

The whole point of digital photography is that this can be corrected
with software. I don't know if vendor software does it; I don't run
Windows. I *DO* know that there is/are database(es) of lens
characterises. Programs like Adobe's Photoshop and even Darktable can
access them and make use of them to do correction..

Or not of yo don't want to.
Some people WANT the distortion. Think of wide angle lenses, panoramic
shots, fish-eye lenses.

About Canon: I'm biased against it. Canon printers are badly supported
by Linux, and I don't expect cameras to be different. The brand is very
closed.

Contrariwise, while they aren't very innovative, compared to Fuji, Sony
or even Nikon in the DSLR arena, some of the smaller cameras such as the
G10/11/12 are brilliant.

And they make DAMN GOOD LENSES!

If you go for some of the smaller mirrorless cameras, the Olympus,
Panasonic, the Four-thirds and Micro-four-thirds, then the community
rants and raves over Canon glass going on eBay or other sales that they
can use with adapter rings, even though this means giving up the
automatic functions, because the glass is so exemplary.

I looked at buying one of those micros after borrowing that Oly a few
years ago and hung out in the forums/lists for a while. In that way,
all the brands are 'closed', but so what? It's not as if there is "Open
source" replacement for the s/w for any of the cameras or lenses as
there is for Android cell phones. We're spoilt coming from a Linux
background, its distorted out outlook.