On 2016-02-01 22:35, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 2016-02-01 18:49, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 02/01/2016 11:24 AM, jdd wrote:

This if fine if, as John points out, you're doing holiday snapshots.
But why do that with a $1,000+ DSLR/lens combo when you can do JPG
snapshots with a $100 P&S.

Because the optics and capabilities are better, for instance ;-)

I think you would be surprised.
I also think that this is a line that can easily degenerate into a
pizzing match. It gets back to "adequate for the task" and a that gets
back to "you'd be surprised at some of the optics of small cameras".

But you see, the example small camera you cite later, at about 400$, are
at the price range of my SLR. My pocket camera is under 100€. I can't
afford to buy another, not now.

I know, for instance, that the compact cameras I have used distort. It
is very noticeable when shooting rooms, the lines in the walls are bent.

About Canon: I'm biased against it. Canon printers are badly supported
by Linux, and I don't expect cameras to be different. The brand is very
closed.

I may take a hundred photos, most of them just for remembrance, but then
I may spot an eagle doing circles above me, and I know the pocket is not
up to the task.

So? That in no way invalidates any of what I've said above.

My 100€ pocket camera is not up to the task.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)