On 2016-02-01 22:56, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 02/01/2016 04:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

shotwell is primarily an organizer. It is similar to digikam, with much
less features.

That contradicts what you've said earlier.
You've already said that on import shotwell generates a jpg from the raw
file.

It does, but you can not adjust the settings, they are automatic.
I think it does the conversion because that is what it displays, not the
.NEF file.

The point is

Why bother have the camera produce a redundant JPG at all?

Because I can :-)

Having both allows me to decide later. If I decide later I want the
"other" format (whatever "other" is) and didn't do it, I cry.

I'm sorry, that makes no sense at all.
If you have the RAW you generate *ANY* type of jpg, the type the camera
would have or some other-other-other.

I can not generate the exact JPG the camera would have generated.
For instance, a NEF typically has 20 MB. The corresponding JPG generated
by the camera has 10 MB. The JPG generated by shotwell is only 2 or 3 MB.

They are different JPG, generated differently. I want to have both and
decide which to use at use time. Not close doors in advance.

Realistically, he's more likely to run out of space (and battery power)
on a vacation, isn't he?

Which is why they sell you battery spares and cards :-P

You're the one who mentioned running you of card space ...

I have run out the battery in only 2 or 3 hours, just by using the
remote wifi controller. Without it, I do not need yet extra batteries
nor cards.

The USB cable can not power the camera nor charge it. For that, you need
another type of cable and accessories. It is all about selling you extras.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)