On 02/01/2016 04:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-02-01 22:13, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 02/01/2016 03:19 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

If you are using RAW at all the implication is that you are later going
to use a photoeditor

No, the implication is that I think I /may/ later use a photoeditor ;-)

(you choose shotwell, I choose darktable, some

shotwell is primarily an organizer. It is similar to digikam, with much
less features.

That contradicts what you've said earlier.
You've already said that on import shotwell generates a jpg from the raw
file.

As for 'organizer", well darktable and photoshop have that capability as
well, tagging, rating, grouping selection-by. The fact that the likes
of Thee and Mee are already doing things like organizing the uploads
into directories by date or by project or by occasion or event is
completely beside the point. We're old file system hacks!

people use Adobe's Photosohp) to produce a JPG that is just what you
want, cropped, highlighted, toned. Quite possibly more than one. Maybe
other enhancements: sharpening, noise reductions, vignetting,. All
beyond what the camera can do.

Or you might run a VM windows and use the vendor's photoeditor.

It is in my todo list...

You might prefer Darktable to Shotwell for number of reasons related to
what you've been saying. I'm sure Patrick can contribute more on this.

The point is

Why bother have the camera produce a redundant JPG at all?

Because I can :-)

Having both allows me to decide later. If I decide later I want the
"other" format (whatever "other" is) and didn't do it, I cry.

I'm sorry, that makes no sense at all.
If you have the RAW you generate *ANY* type of jpg, the type the camera
would have or some other-other-other.

Realistically, he's more likely to run out of space (and battery power)
on a vacation, isn't he?

Which is why they sell you battery spares and cards :-P

You're the one who mentioned running you of card space ...