On 2016-02-01 22:13, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 02/01/2016 03:19 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

If you are using RAW at all the implication is that you are later going
to use a photoeditor

No, the implication is that I think I /may/ later use a photoeditor ;-)

(you choose shotwell, I choose darktable, some

shotwell is primarily an organizer. It is similar to digikam, with much
less features.

people use Adobe's Photosohp) to produce a JPG that is just what you
want, cropped, highlighted, toned. Quite possibly more than one. Maybe
other enhancements: sharpening, noise reductions, vignetting,. All
beyond what the camera can do.

Or you might run a VM windows and use the vendor's photoeditor.

It is in my todo list...

The point is

Why bother have the camera produce a redundant JPG at all?

Because I can :-)

Having both allows me to decide later. If I decide later I want the
"other" format (whatever "other" is) and didn't do it, I cry.

Bob may make the point that those holiday snapshots he immediately
shares are immedite shares, but he might ALSO want to do a proper edit
of same, so he has the RAW as well.

Realistically, he's more likely to run out of space (and battery power)
on a vacation, isn't he?

Which is why they sell you battery spares and cards :-P

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)