On 02/01/2016 03:19 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I see the point in using RAW only or RAW+JPG, but not in using the JPG
setting alone - maybe on emergencies, hundreds of shots to do and no
space in the card, no spare cards.

Bob Williams gave what I thought was a very good and reasoned
explanation of why he might want to use "JPG ONLY".

<quote>
When I'm on holiday, most of what I shoot is snapshots, with
occasionally some 'art' shots in there as well. I often get asked by
friends if they can have a copy of one of the snapshots, or I might want
to upload it there and then to social media. So, on holiday, I use
RAW+JPG, when trying to be creative, always just RAW.
</quote>

If you are using RAW at all the implication is that you are later going
to use a photoeditor (you choose shotwell, I choose darktable, some
people use Adobe's Photosohp) to produce a JPG that is just what you
want, cropped, highlighted, toned. Quite possibly more than one. Maybe
other enhancements: sharpening, noise reductions, vignetting,. All
beyond what the camera can do.

Or you might run a VM windows and use the vendor's photoeditor.

The point is

Why bother have the camera produce a redundant JPG at all?

Bob may make the point that those holiday snapshots he immediately
shares are immedite shares, but he might ALSO want to do a proper edit
of same, so he has the RAW as well.

Realistically, he's more likely to run out of space (and battery power)
on a vacation, isn't he?