On 02/01/2016 04:02 AM, jdd wrote:

Not all cameras have the capability to add the exif tags that a user may
want.

And that's also true for the kind of scans that started this thread.

most can add copyright infos,

The issue isn't "Most".
The issue is that there there are some that can't, so it has to be done
manually.
If I have one camera can add author/copyright info and other that can't,
why should I not be able to make sure that the RAW files from BOTH have
the author/copyright info embedded in them in my computer?

The same argument can be made for GPS data. Not all my cameras are GPS
equipped. I can add GPS data using exiftools.

Then as I said, there's scans. Not just of other photos or of old
negatives and slides, but also documents using a document scanner.
author/copyright and source information is going to be essential to to,
for example, researchers.

Not everything is a high end, all capable, camera.

"Most" does not apply in this line of reasoning.