Maybe a little of both coming from camera makers systems are proprietary,
not open, and all outside access must be determined by good guessing and
hacker analysis. The problem with writing to raw files is it changes the
size, order and location of data withing the file. If any of those items
become critical, the file is trashed. And much of exif is not
standardized, a field in one vendors raw file may not be accepted in
anothers or even the same vendor but a different camera/format. You have
read hear of people seeing errors for incorrect unrecognized fields when
trying to import photos.

This is really an incredibly weak argument when it comes down to it.
it not only assumes "ALL" when it should state "SOME" in more than one
place.

Not all vendors are obscureationist.
Not all vendors that *were* obscurationist still are.

Not all hackers are incompetent. Some seem to know more about the
innards of files and mistakes in the vendor software and their
conversion algorithms than the vendors themselves[1].

Not all fields are documented, true, but we were only talking about the
ones that were and that were implemented by the vendors under discussion.

Much of the argument was based on the fact that the exif table had
pointers and that altering the size of fields in the table would
invalidate those pointers. This assumed the exif editor was unaware of
the same. In turn this depends on (a) how well documented the file is
and (b) how well the 'hackers' have uncovered details. It also assumes
that that the exif editor coders are ignorant of all this and are
ignorant of all the last 50 years of computing history about linkage
tables.

The flaws in the reasoning of these experts is only exceeded by their
arrogance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_by_assertion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuous_truth

[1] This isn't odd. Back about 25 years ago a vendor threatened to sue
me for reporting a bug. "You couldn't possibly know that without access
to our source". I had to depose a detailed example of how i had
determined the bug. I also suggested how it could be fixed. And it
was, but i received no acknowledgement.